Many people don’t like brown rice (me included shhh!). But brown rice has many health benefits, which we can’t find in white rice. It has high fibre and is rich in essential minerals. And of course, it’s a boon to weight-watchers who can’t live without their daily doses of rice, like me 😛 .
Today’s brown rice pulao recipe is simple and delicious with goodness of vegetables. This recipe serves 2-3 people.
- 1 cup brown rice, soaked for 2 hours. Rinse and drain well;
- 2 cups of assorted vegetables of your choice. I used green pepper, tomato and sweet corn;
- 2 green chilies, slit;
- 1 medium onion sliced;
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder;
- 1/3 teaspoon garam masala;
- 2 whole cardamoms;
- Salt and pepper;
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil.
- Heat oil and add the cardamoms.
- Now add onions and fry till they are lightly brown.
- Add rice to the onions and cook for 6-8 minutes on medium heat. Do not leave the rice unattended, as it may stick to the pan.
- Now add all your vegetables and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add all the spices, including salt and pepper and cook for a minute or two.
- Take a microwave safe dish, and pour the rice into it. Even out the rice with a spatula.
- Now pour just enough water to cover the surface of the rice layer. Remember the rice was already soaked for hours.
- Microwave the pulao for 15-17 minutes, and your brown rice pulao is ready. If you do not want to microwave it, then add around 2 cups of water to the pan and cook your rice till its done.
Serve it with some raita and fresh salad.
Stay tuned for many other healthy recipes.