Generally, I love simple cakes without any heavy icing; but, sometimes, you do feel like indulging a little. So, for those particular times, I am presenting an easy ganache recipe. Today, I have done ganache icing on a chocolate cake, made with a hint of cinnamon (click here to go the recipe).
The cake needs to be levelled for this icing. To know how to level a cake easily go to my carrot cake recipe and find out the easiest way without any fancy tools.
This recipe makes enough ganache to decorate a half a kg or six inch cake.
- ½ cup heavy cream (whipping cream);
- 125 grams of dark chocolate kept at room temp;
- 1 tablespoon melted butter.
- Heat the cream till it gets the first boil.
- Now, immediately pour it over the chocolate and let it sit for 5 minutes.
- Take a whisk or a fork and start mixing the chocolate and the cream; if you feel that the chocolate is not melting, then microwave the mixture for 30 seconds and try mixing. If you have kept the chocolate out of the refrigerator for good 1-2 hours, then it should melt easily, without microwaving.
- Add the melted butter and mix.
- Let the mixture cool slightly, will take around 7-8 minutes.
- Place your cake on top of a parchment paper.
- Now pour it gently on top of your cake. Take a spoon and guide the ganache down the sides of the cake. The ganache will cover the top, sides and will also accumulate on the paper.
- Let it cool at room temperature and then refrigerate for 1-2 hours.
- Once set, take a knife and gently cut along the edge of the cake and the parchment paper. Lift up the cake and voila its done!
Do not throw away the ganache residue from the parchment paper; scrape it from the paper and use it to make something creative!
Stay tuned for many more tried and tested recipes.