I have never met anyone in India who says, “I love Tofu!”. Most of my friends and family members stay away from this nutritious food, because it doesn’t taste like the normal paneer and has a distinctive tangy kind of aftertaste.
However, tofu is a very healthy food, especially for vegetarians, as its a good source of protein. Its gluten-free and also contains iron and calcium. Moreover, its a versatile food item, which can be made into Indian curries, Asian dumplings or any kind of stir fried starter. Today, I am sharing with you an easy, quick and extremely tasty starter option with tofu that will be a sure winner from your dinner menu. This sweet and spicy vegetarian starter is a pleasant departure from the usual dishes such as chilly paneer or tandoori veg kababs.
The following recipe serves 3-4 people.
- 150 gm tofu,
- ½ cup chopped fresh spinach,
- 3 tablespoon soy sauce,
- 2 tablespoon tomato ketchup,
- ¼ cup finely chopped onion,
- 2-3 tablespoon finely chopped green chillies,
- 2 tablespoon finely chopped garlic,
- ½ teaspoon brown sugar,
- Salt and pepper.
- Wash the tofu under running water, and cut in rectangular pieces.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper and keep aside for half an hour (be careful with the salt, as we will be adding soy sauce later).
- Now sauté the tofu pieces, in 1 tablespoon of oil, until lightly golden on both sides.
- Mix together soy sauce, tomato ketchup, onion, garlic, sugar, chillies and around ½ teaspoon pepper powder.
- Now pour this over the tofu in the pan and stir fry for 2-3 minutes on low flame. Remove from the pan and keep aside.
- In the same pan, add chopped spinach and fry for 2-3 minutes; the spinach will wilt.
- Mix spinach with the tofu and serve on a platter.
- Garnish with spring onions and green chillies, and voila, easy tofu starter is ready!
Hope you like this.
Stay tuned for many more easy and healthy recipes.