Green chana or choliya is a regular food item in my grocery list, because my husband loves it so much! I am not a fan of the black chana curries, but I really love choliyas; they are healthy, easy to digest and easy to cook. I generally make aloo-choliya curry; but today I felt like making these tikkis, as an accompaniment for my couscous salad. This makes for a beautiful Middle Eastern type of dinner menu, with couscous and green chana “falafel look-alike” :P.
The following recipe makes around 5-6 medium sized tikkis.
- 1.5 cup green chana or choliya,
- 3-4 cloves of garlic,
- 2 green chillies,
- 1 medium potato boiled,
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion,
- 3-4 tablespoon corn flour,
- ½ teaspoon baking powder,
- Salt, pepper, cumin powder and chilli powder.
- Breadcrumbs to coat the tikkis.
- Use a food processor to grind together green chana, garlic and chillies to make a paste.
- Mash the potato.
- Now mix all ingredients together with chana paste.
- Adjust the amount of corn flour to get the right consistency.
- Coat each tikki with breadcrumb and shallow fry over medium heat.
Serve these with chilli sauce and any of your favourite sauces! Here, I am serving these with a healthy couscous salad (click here to go to the recipe for this).
Stay tuned for many more fun snacks.